The special prosecutor in the Trayvon Martin case has ruled out using a grand jury to decide whether to charge George Zimmerman. We're taking a closer look at this breaking story from the Current community. Check it out and add your two cents:
Submitted by letsliveinpeace
State Attorney Angela Corey, appointed to investigate the killing of Trayvon Martin, decided that the case will not convene a grand jury. Her office alone will decide whether to charge shooter George Zimmerman with a crime. Corey's decision also means eliminating the possibility of a first-degree murder charge.
Corey took over the case last month after the prosecutor who normally handles cases out of Sanford recused himself. That prosecutor, Norm Wolfinger, had originally called for the case to be presented before a grand jury.
"From the moment she was assigned, Ms. Corey noted she may not need a grand jury," said a statement from Corey's office.
An attorney for Martin's parents said in a statement that he is not surprised by the decision to avoid the grand jury and hopes a decision is reached soon.
"The family has been patient throughout this process and asks that those who support them do the same during this very important investigation," said attorney Benjamin Crump.
See more coverage on Trayvon Martin from our shows:
- Travyon Martin shooting witness says Zimmerman never wiped blood from his allegedly broken nose
- Bill Press talks Trayvon smear campaign, right wing message machine
- Like Bernie Goetz, if Zimmerman can prove ‘reasonable’ fear of black men, he could be acquitted
- Rep. Bobby Rush on Trayvon: Decorum has to take a back seat to justice.
- How a ‘war of leaks’ may distract from the tragedy of Trayvon Martin’s death
- Cenk: ‘God bless Rev. Sharpton’ for being an advocate for Trayvon Martin and still hosting his show
- Coordinated defense of George Zimmerman begins in Trayvon Martin shooting case
- ‘There’s a consequence for killing a black child’: Million Hoodies March for Trayvon Martin in Los Angeles
- #WeAreTrayvonMartin: Breaking the silence around racial abuse
- TYT stands in solidarity with #MillionHoodies and #TrayvonMartin
- Fired up! Why ‘Stand Your Ground’ is no defense in Trayvon Martin’s killing
Join the discussion -- or head over to the Community page for more popular stories from the community.
(Photo: Getty Images)