After months of protests and marches, suspect George Zimmerman has been officially charged with the death of Trayvon Martin. We're taking a closer look at this breaking story from the Current community. Check it out and add your two cents:
Submitted by letsliveinpeace
Special prosecutor Angela Corey announced a second-degree murder charge against George Zimmerman in the death of Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman is currently being held without bail.
“We did not come to this decision lightly,” Ms. Corey said. She added: “Let me emphasize that we do not prosecute by public pressure or by petition. “
“We will continue to seek the truth about this case,” she said.
The community responds:
Leen61: "WooHoo!!!! Justice for Trayvon! I honestly thought this SOB was going to get away with murder. I'm so glad that is not going to be the case!"
kennymotown: "Now, maybe Justice can be served!"
HarukoHaruhara: "Charged with second degree murder. Finally ... at least the OPPORTUNITY for some justice."
See more coverage on George Zimmerman from our shows:
- Travyon Martin shooting witness says Zimmerman never wiped blood from his allegedly broken nose
- Bill Press talks Trayvon smear campaign, right wing message machine
- Like Bernie Goetz, if Zimmerman can prove ‘reasonable’ fear of black men, he could be acquitted
- How a ‘war of leaks’ may distract from the tragedy of Trayvon Martin’s death
- Coordinated defense of George Zimmerman begins in Trayvon Martin shooting case
- ‘There’s a consequence for killing a black child’: Million Hoodies March for Trayvon Martin in Los Angeles
- Fired up! Why ‘Stand Your Ground’ is no defense in Trayvon Martin’s killing
Join the discussion -- or head over to the Community page for more popular stories from the community.
(Photo: Getty Images)