Welcome to Current TV
Event: Interactive Dialogue of the General Assembly on Harmony With Nature
show details 8:08 AM (3 hours ago)
Rio+20 - Interactive Dialogue of the General Assembly on Harmony With Nature
Interactive Dialogue of the General Assembly on Harmony With Nature
20 Apr 2011 - 20 Apr 2011
10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Conference Room 3, North Lawn Building, New York
To commemorate International Mother Earth Day, the UN General Assembly will host an interactive dialogue on harmony with nature.
The dialogue aims to examine how humans can better reconnect with the world around them and is expected to yield
the following outcomes: proposals on ways to promote a holistic approach to sustainable development in harmony with nature; and an overview of different national experiences on the measurement of sustainable development in harmony with nature.
The dialogue will consist of two moderated panel discussions with experts in sustainable development. In the morning session, the panel will address a wide array of perspectives, including sociological and anthropological ones, on how humankind can effectively reconnect with nature to achieve economic and social development that is more harmonious and balanced in relationship to the Earth’s carrying capacity. In the afternoon session, the panel will debate on the increasing recognition that gross domestic product (GDP) needs to be supplemented by other measurement tools for measuring progress in terms of social well-being and environmental sustainability.
The interactive dialogue is intended to inform the on-going preparations for the UN Conference on Sustainable Development to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 4-6 June 2012 (Rio+20)
Stiglitz Commission: http://www.stiglitz-sen-fitoussi.fr/en/index.htm
Interactive Dialogue of the General Assembly on Harmony with Nature
Wednesday, 20 April 2011 · NLB Conference Room 3
10 –10:20 am Opening Remarks
• H.E. Mr. Charles Thembani Ntwaagae, Acting President of the General Assembly and Permanent Representative of Botswana to the UN
• H.E. Mrs. Asha-Rose Migiro, United Nations Deputy Secretary-General
• H.E. Mr. Pablo Solon, Permanent Representative of Bolivia to the UN
10:20 – 1:00 pm Interactive Panel Debate 1: Ways to promoting a holistic approach to sustainable development in harmony with nature
• Mr. Martin Khor, Executive Director of the South Center
1. Ms. Vandana Shiva, Founder of Navdanya, India
2. Mr. Peter Brown, Professor, McGill University, Canada
3. Mr. Cormac Cullinan, Environmental Attorney, South Africa
4. Ms. Riane Eisler, Author of “The Real Wealth of Nations: Creating a Caring Economics” (2007)
3 – 5:45 pm Interactive Panel Debate 2: Sharing national experiences on criteria and indicators for measuring sustainable development in harmony with nature
Mr. Martin Khor, Executive Director of the South Center
* Mr. Paul-Bertrand Barets, Head of International Economic Division, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, France
* Mr. Mathis Wackernagel, Executive Director, Global Footprint Network
* Mr. Gilberto Gallopin, Regional Adviser on Environmental Policies, Economic and Social Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
* Mr. Ivo Havinga, Chief, Economic Statistics Branch, UN DESA Statistics Division
5:45 – 6 pm Closing Remarks
* Mr. Sha Zukang, Secretary-General for Rio+20
* H.E. Mr. Charles Thembani Ntwaagae, Acting President of the General Assembly and Permanent Representative of Botswana to the UN
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NGO Committee on Education" group.
To post to this group, send email to email@example.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ngo-education?hl=en.
more from Community:
from the community