At least the OP seems to understand that the Democratic Party is ideologically diverse and that it doesn't entirely consist of "progressive liberals". I'd like to see what the OP has to say about the far-right Republicans.
101 [But only 29 so far!] Reasons Being A Conservative Is A Joke Too:
1. You can just tell the public that you're doing God's Will.
It's easy to get away with privatizing healthcare and reinforcing corporate lobbyists if you just remind everyone that you're a Christian and God "put you [here] for a reason".
2. Concentrate millions of US taxpayer dollars into funding baseless wars, providing incentives for outsourcing and funding anti-equality campaigns to stomp out civil rights for homosexuals.
3. Of course: Do whatever you want! Just because you say you're a Christian doesn't mean you have to fight greed, poverty, abuse, and hatred for others!
4. Disregard history! As a conservative, you can completely disregard historical information about economic recessions, military initiatives and civil rights. Because the only reason why they were never successful at stopping it is they just weren't doing it right... right?
5. The ability to disregard scientific evidence in support of idolatrous theories. Science can't prove that science is the most scientific method of evaluating science among the vast fields that should be considered for scientific research! Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, people!
6. The ability to misinform the public. Why tell the world your new wiretap legislation has a single paragraph that allows any federal agent to malevolently destroy or misuse your personal property if you can just say, "This is a bill to help prevent terrorism"?
7. Dismiss verified facts and industry-specific specialists that/who disagree with your philosophy. Nevermind that there is a recession and economic analysts point to the misuse of government funds and pork-barrel legislation as a primary cause; they aren't God-fearing do-gooders, so what do they know?
8. Use "non-profit organizations" as religious hedge funds to influence public opinion against "immoral lifestyle choices". Sure, anyone can found a non-profit... why not an arm of Jesus himself, the Mormon Church? There's nothing wrong with funneling tens of millions into constitutional amendments that will displace millions in a society they entertain.
9. Feel free to use God as your excuse! Of course, if you feel that putting babies on spikes and burning crosses down the street is a great idea and no one else agrees, God is ON YOUR SIDE! You're a believer, baby!
10. Flip-flop when you're name-checked. As a conservative, you have a near-exclusive right to decide tomorrow that what you believe today is not what you really believe anymore... and you can switch back when you're out of the news next week.
11. Make impulsive decisions! Conservatives are known for thinking on their toes... or thinking with their toes... I'm not sure which one. If the garble in an Iranian song sounds like "nuke bomb" to you, you can declare war and give specifics later!
12. Bend laws to suit your will. It's great that you can walk into most government buildings and see Christian idols all over the walls, isn't it? :)
13. Destroy international relations by engaging in questionable exchanges and espionage.
14. Remove nearly 30% of funding from public schools because of a "budget crisis".
15. No real problem going on here in the US, so there's lot of money to spend on fighting poverty overseas. After all, it gets Jesus some free, uncensored, publicity!
16. Ability to define "morality" as a "Christian thing". (It must be nice to have a big guy in the sky point at you and say, 'You will decide who is good and who is evil, little one!')
17. Freedom to maliciously slander any political candidate when you can't come up with a good solution to a problem. (Of course, John McCain wanted people to know that Obama was the worst possible person for President... but his solution to civil rights? State matter. Economic development? State matter. Illegal immigration? State matter.)
18. Throw all your money at Jesus. Hell, throw everyone's money at Jesus... If you can't get them to buy into Heaven willingly, you've got just enough government to force 'em.
19. Judges will make completely illogical decisions based on "moral dilemma" instead of reviewing the best socially-progressive outcome.
20. Can refuse to pass legislation restricting frivolous lawsuits against medical establishments, thereby increasing insurance premiums and financial pressure for medical staff across the nation. (Because hospitals got cheap at some point, right?)
21. You can be friends with the Phelps! (...?)
22. You can sue entertainment industries for perceived moral inflictions on youth, forcing rating and censorship establishments to crack down on freedom of expression in all forms, especially in a public medium!
23. Conservative women are dry, sandy, almost barren and chapped. This is why it is common for a child of a conservative woman to believe they were born during the Dust Bowl.
24. Clear ability to bring a small vial of baking mix to Congress (for show and tell) to explain that "[This] is what we're up against if we don't act now"!
25. Rest safe in the knowledge that several corporate incentives to sign economically dangerous legislation will be in your mailbox in the morning.
26. Capability to tell just a little truth without feeling obligated to tell the whole truth. They don't have to know you signed that bailout, just that you read it and were horrified by it—nine months later.
27. Declare yourself a blessing of God! As your hero, George W. Bush said, "God put [him in the White House] for a reason". Even if you're doing everything wrong, God PUT YOU THERE, so keep on truckin'!
28. If you follow the link, on #29 you'll know that you don't have to spell to be a conservative. That's good news for you since you've been strong supports of the corporate-buyouts of higher learning institutions across the country to reform them for profit! You now don't have to have an education to be a success!
29. Become a proponent for minimizing the government! Of course, you'll want to make sure you have enough government on-hand to interfere in the lives of those who are morally inept.
I'm willing to enter into this discussion as I'm a fan of cryptozoology. I'm told there was once a species known as the liberal republican. I'd like to find one that exists before I talk tolerance with a member of the conservative movement.
I won't even waste my time... just the title makes me think this is a bunch of bull.
But the website, "the real united states"? fuh-uhc-kuh them. what is the "real" united states? how do they decde that? I grew up on a coast, in a major city, moved to another major city after high school, I've never been a small town person, but i'm pretty sure I'm a real american.
I've never heard they're rationale to what makes them more real than me (us), the FIRST united states was the eastern seaboard... why have they now been disqualified?
Twenty Eight advantages of being a conservative blowhard. feel free to add more guys. i felt we deserved a rebuttal.
1. No need to feel guilty about anything.. ever. hey, all those sins are wiped away every sunday right?
2. Give Millions of U.S. taxpayer dollars away to corporate greed.
3. The ability to get away with murder and more. Do whatever you want! The media is in your corner. bought and paid for by rupert murdoch!
4. The ability to Rewrite history. As a republican you are granted the right to discredit all history, all together, and make up your own. see also texas and virginia board of education
5. The ability to pervert science to match your agenda. Use tax payer dollars to fund projects that only match the religious right's dark age ideas of science.
6. The ability to make promises you don't have to keep. Promise that the government will provide everything the people may need, steal most of the money, and then just blame the other political party for failures, thus allowing you to start that process over again.
7. Dismiss everyone that disagrees with you. Discredit every argument by saying they haven't "spiritually evolved" to your level.
8. Use hate groups like the the Ku Klux Klan as an action arm. Really any fringe group with a history of destruction or domestic terrorism will do. Neo Nazis and Militia types like Timothy McVeigh are a good example.
9. Feel free to be a complete hypocrite. You are more religious than the average person so feel free to enact a "do as I say not as I do attitude."
10. Reverse your positions as many times as you wish. Your are religiously superior after all.
11. Never make a hard decision. If a difficult situation calls for a hard decision merely make up a completely unrealistic option that has 0 chance of working but sounds good to people. I.E. like stating over and over again that America will be attacked if we pull out of Iraq.
12. Ignore the constitution to further your own agenda. Too many examples to cite but one great one is the PATRIOT act.
13. Incite global hatred by ignoring the constitution and international law and starting illegal wars with brown people to steal their resources like oil and opium poppies.
14. Publicly support public education while sending your own children to religious private schools.
15. No need to contribute to charity, the Democrats will do it for you.
16. Ability to rationalize reality around you with whatever bronze age religion you believe in.
17. To be able stir up racial or religious hatred anytime it could benefit you.
18. Public funding of things they want, like war, sexual and racial discrimination are good,things like free health care for all or stem cell research? not so much.
19. Judges will side cases in your favor even though law and precedent is against you. why not? they're bought and paid for!
20. Can pollute all over anything they want, why not? we're all going to heaven anyway, right?
21. Moving up the social ladder is easier as a conservative in almost every fly-over state in the nation.
22. Easier to make it in the oil industry.
23. Conservative women are easy. They've been sexually repressed in church and at home their entire lives, and their men drink to excess and watch too much football and nascar to notice. ;-)
24. Ability to tell a bald face lie.. then just claim you "misspoke"
25. Ability to rest assured you have a base of uninformed that will vote for you because you are offering to give them something for it. -trickle down economics, anyone?
26. Ability to rely on a base that will never disagree with anything you say. Jesus Christ Himself can come down from heaven.. announce he is a Democrat.. and even the most devout religious conservative will say "I knew that Jesus was a faggot!"...
27. Ability to Always feel superior to those around you, rest assured everyone around can stand to learn something from you.
Why wouldn't I want to be a conservative crazy-religious narrow-minded republican who's totally self centered and hypocritical? With these reasons right here I could organize a religion.
"If you join, you never need to feel guilty because our lord and savior, Money, will forgive you."
"History doesn't apply to you. Do whatever you want with complete disregard to previous attempts."
"Lie. Lie. Lie. Lie. Lie. Lie. Lie. Lie. Lie. Lie, all The time, about everything (especially matters pertaining to money), no matter if you need to or not."
"You're always right... because you're rich."
"You can use your communities personal beliefs to morally pull the wool over their eyes."
"You can slow down the rate of evolution by populating the planet with ignorant goons. This way genius's like us is always gonna be ahead."
"You can join today for just a million easy payments of the innocent souls of Middle Eastern wives and children! Go and profit off the misfortune of others! Go and mislead millions of people so that America can remain a super power for all eternity! Go and finally do what Rome could only dream of! Go, conservative crazy-religious narrow-minded republicans, and try to rule the world!"
This is pure generalization but it still exists in our country. People really think like this. Not because they're evil, but because their mind's are warped in to greed-hungary, war-profiteering machines. Republican or democrat, don't be stupid and self centered douches. Period.
hmm... women's suffrage = liberal, civil rights = liberal, labor laws = liberal, independence from England = liberal, ending slavery = liberal, freedom of religion = liberal, desegregation = liberal, social justice = liberal, questioning status quo = liberal, NOT BELIEVING IN YOUR GOD = LIBERAL
I rather like being liberal, and if you don't agree with my liberal ways, it usually means that you want to oppress someone else.
PS - as for #1 on that list, people that don't believe in god still face consequences, we just rely on our own morality instead of the threat of hell to decide what is right and wrong. I don't need anyone to tell me what is wrong or threaten me with everlasting damnation, I simply ask myself if I would want it done to me. If the answer is no, I don't do it. For you religious people, you just look in your little book that allows you to rationalize what you do, because hey, as long as you ask forgiveness, your good to go! Talk about getting away with murder...
I simply stated that those who do not agree with what liberalism by definition stands for are usually trying to oppress others. Not once in my post did I make the statement that all people who don't believe in god do not oppress. I DID however make the statement that people who DO believe in God think that they can sin in any way they want and as long as they ask for forgiveness then it's ok, their God will forgive them. Is there something incorrect about that statement?
Religious people AND nonreligious people oppress, but most religious people that oppress think they are righteous in doing so because their holy book tells them they can. Nonreligious people do not claim they are righteous. (By oppression I am talking about racism, discrimination against gay people, disdain for those who do not agree with said religion, resistance of separation of church and state, preaching that one religion is truer than others) Correct me if I'm wrong.
#1 on this list about liberals:
No need to feel guilty about anything.. ever. You don't believe in God so no overall consequences.
This is not true, there are consequences to everything. It is smug to assume that because one does not believe in god that one does not have a moral code. (It is my opinion that those who do not believe in a god usually have a stronger moral code than those who do.) But I don't dismiss anyone, I DO however dismiss anything you say that you try to back up with your bible.
"For you religious people, you just look in your little book that allows you to rationalize what you do, because hey, as long as you ask forgiveness, your good to go! Talk about getting away with murder..."
There is your generalization of people who believe in God. Thanks for assuming you know shit about something you say you dont believe in.
So you assume that since I don't believe in it that I know nothing about it? FYI, used to be Roman Catholic for oh... about 25 years. And I spent quite a few years after that reading and learning before I made the decision not to buy the bullshit anymore. IN-FACT, I would be willing to say that I probably know MORE about Christianity and it's history than most people that claim to believe in it. (One of the funny little quirks about atheists- we like to know as much as possible about religions in order to defend our views against any arguments that religious people can conjure up.)
And am I wrong in my generalization? Isn't that what you believe? Don't you believe that god forgives all sins? Don't you believe that the bible is your little instruction manual for life? Don't you believe that god is your personal god and he loves you no matter what bad things you've done? Shit, according to Christianity god still loves me even though I deny his existence. (although I will supposedly burn in hell for it-weird how god's love works) Why so defensive of something you claim to hold true? I wouldn't even call those things generalizations about Christians, I would call them absolutes. Like I said, correct me if I'm wrong.
BTW, I don't mean to pick on Christianity, but since this article is attacking American Liberals, my comments are directed at the Conservative Right, so I have to assume that this is your religion. If it is not, by all means feel free to set me straight.
I dont believe that.
Nothing is more annoying than people who give something up then become all self righteous about it you sound like some ex smokers I know.
I dont really give a shit about atheists they dont bother me. Now know it all assholes are a different story.
Lastly anyone who confuses me with the conservative right has no idea how wrong they are.
You really don't make any sense. This article attacks people that don't believe in god. So I defend my personal position. I didn't even address anyone personally, but you somehow take my remark as a personal attack and jump to calling me smug. I again attempt to explain my position without any personal attacks and some valid points. (at least I thought they were valid, and you have yet to refute any of them) How is that being self-righteous? I don't claim to be better than any religious person, I only claim that I don't do things because a particular religion tells me to. I only claim that you don't have to believe in god to be moral. What do you do? Jump again to calling me a name. Never did I say that I assume you are someone who would be considered conservative right, I only stated that this article is posted by someone who I would consider to be conservative since it blatantly attacks liberals, and that I assumed your religion to be Christianity. Was I wrong? Are you not Christian? If you are not I am sorry for my assumption. I really don't care what you are, Christian or not, conservative or not. Sorry if my confidence in my religious knowledge makes you feel insecure to the point of calling me a know-it-all asshole, but that's YOUR problem, not mine. You assumed that I know nothing about religion since I don't believe in it, so maybe before you point the "know-it-all" accusation at me you should look in the mirror. I made no assumptions about how much you know, like you did with me. I am also fluent in Spanish, so if I refute someone who claims I know nothing about the Spanish language, that makes me a know-it-all? Maybe it just means I really do know a little something about the subject. Unlike many people, I would not make bold statements about what I know unless I felt I could back them up.
Calm down, and learn how to carry out a debate with out throwing a fit.
" For you religious people, you just look in your little book that allows you to rationalize what you do, because hey, as long as you ask forgiveness, your good to go! Talk about getting away with murder..." is not an example of religious knowledge. It is an example of an assumption and generalization of a group of people based on your personal experience in one religion. Maybe the people you went to church with were smug assholes too.
My point in that statement was to illustrate that since Christians only must ask forgiveness from god to be good people, it takes a different motivation for those who don't believe in god. Did I strike a nerve with you or something...
Thank you. That is a very nice, concise statement that I can certainly appreciate. However, I do not agree with that statement. Willfully sinning then asking forgiveness is in itself a sin because it would not be true contrition. Actually I have no nerve to strike because I don't consider myself to be particularly good I just do the best I can
Oh thank God. Someone finally categorized me! Thank Jesus I'm not a liberal because I don't ingore facts! I just went over to my book shelf and looked up the word liberal. Here's what I found:
1) marked by genrosity
2) given or provided in a generous and openhanded way
3) not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or traditional forms
of or consitituting a polictal party associated with ideals of individual especially economic freedom, geater individual participation in government, and constitutional, political, and administrative reforms designed to secure these objectives.
1) disposition in politics to preserve what is established
2) a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change; specifically : such a philosophy calling for lower taxes, limited government regulation of business and investing, a strong national defense, and individual financial responsibility for personal needs (as retirement income or health-care coverage)
3) the tendency to prefer an existing or traditional situation to change
*** You want to call your self a convservative and not a liberal? Shut the hell up and defend what we have now dumbasses. You take away our rights and liberties for taxes and less govenment? That makes you unorthodox untraditional. A liberal.
note - The "conservative" thinker ALWAYS has trouble with accepting "moral relativism",....and the arguments and policies derived from it. For that matter, so do I. If you weed through the hyperbole and humor of this, you can easily identify key psychological and philosophical differences between "liberal" and "conservative".