Welcome to Current TV
Cheap Chargers in the UK cause electrocution
Trading standards officers studying dangerous chargers being imported from China say vast numbers are available on the internet and in shops.
Their tests show one brand can overheat or cause electrocution.
One of the chargers concerned has the code marking DE62347066. Others have no code and are called Travel Charger.
A specific warning has already been issued about chargers for Nintendo DS and DS Lite machines, but which could also be used to charge Gameboy machines.
Mr Holden said that the chargers were being sold for about £5 on the internet and about £6 in shops. Safe chargers, which have been checked properly, retail for around £15.
Officers have primarily found unsafe chargers for use with games consoles, although others are available to use with music devices and mobile phones.
Wires become detached after being used for a while leading to a risk of electric shocks. The pins do not fit properly into UK sockets causing overheating.
Numerous suppliers were bringing them into the UK, Mr Holden said.
Concerns were raised about the safety of chargers 18 months ago following the death of British boy Connor Dean O'Keeffe.
BE CAREFUL PEOPLE- Spend the extra 10 euros
from the community