I'm an avid environmental advocate and an occasionally annoying alliterationist.
I'm involved in several "supergroups" which devise local awareness campaigns, change behaviors, influence public policy, and try to improve the we respond to climate change and environmental needs.
It's hard to communicate who else I am sometimes, because my environmental and policy work take up so much of my time and mental activity. I enjoy words, art, movies, ethnic dining, festivals, animals (cats and bears of all kinds, especially), and especially random conversations with people who articulate their thoughts well. Once upon a time, I was a pretty good musician (keys, vocals, hand drumming), but it's been a few years. Don't expect Rachmaninoff out of me if we meet. I'm an avid environmental advocate and an occasionally annoying alliterationist. I'm involved in several "supergroups"... more
Earth Day (26 members)
- What I would Change About the World: Eliminate the public's attention-span issues. Too many potential voters are diverted by Paris Hilton's latest escapade.
- Current Gig: Senior Policy Associate, Public Policy Virginia (www.ppvir.org)
- Current Project: Biomass & Climate Change
- Influences/Heroes: Many
- Organizations: Vice-President, Rivanna Conservation Society (www.rivannariver.org); Founder, Earth Week (www.earthweek.org)
- Political Bent: Progressive
- Favorite Bands: David Bowie, Dave Matthews Band, Gaelic Storm, Kate Starr, Radiohead, Robin Wynn Band, Roxy Music, Santana, Train, Trees on Fire
- Favorite Directors: Paul Thomas Anderson, Luc Besson, David Cronenberg, Philip Kaufman, Stanley Kubrick, Richard Linklater
- Favorite Movies: Waking Life, Harold & Maude, LOTR (the obsession...I mean trilogy), End of Suburbia
- Favorite TV Shows: BBC's Planet Earth & Blue Planet, Grey's Anatomy, Dexter, Boston Legal
- Celebrity Crush: Viggo Mortenson
- tlpatten commented on Cafferty tells us how he feels about Sarah Palin! (Oh snap?) 4 years ago
This woman is a nightmare. Wholly unqualified to lead anything more complicated than a pep rally. Her intellectual depth and breadth of knowledge couldn't fill a Presidential-sized toilet... more
- tlpatten commented on Weight bias is as prevalent as racial discrimination 4 years ago
- tlpatten voted up EPA Officials Contradict Each Other at Senate Hearing 4 years ago
"Burnett told the panel that Johnson had concluded that California had met the legal requirement for a waiver by showing it faced 'compelling and extraordinary circumstances' in... more
- tlpatten voted up Brutal French ad on human rights in China wins award — but judged too violent for broadcast 4 years ago
One ad shows a man being waterboarded in an Olympic swimming pool by dark-glassed Chinese officials. In another, a bruised woman is chained to heavy dumbbells in the colors of the Olympic rings. A... more
- tlpatten voted up Hundreds of Dead Baby Penguins Wash Up on Rio de Janeiro's Beaches 4 years ago
It is difficult to imagine what must have been going through the heads of Rio de Janeiro beachgoers in recent months as they have seen hundreds of baby penguins wash up onshore dead. At last... more